Learn in a simple way as to how to apply for a Portuguese passport. In addition to this, this article also deals with the eligibility criteria / documents required & other things. Keep scrolling this page to know more.
What is the eligibility for a Portuguese passport?
To get the Portuguese passport issued, the applicant has to most importantly be a citizen of Portugal. Apart from this, if the applicant is under 18 years of age, then they can apply for a child passport. However, for the applicants who are over 18 years of age, they will have to apply for an adult passport.
Procedure to apply for a Portuguese passport:
- To apply for a Portuguese passport, you will have to get a passport application form from the passport office
- One can get the application form from any of the passport office that is close to your residence
- Next you would be required to fill the application form with the correct details
- Attach the documents that have been listed in this article above
- Next step would be to pay the passport or the processing fee
- Applicants can go ahead & pay the fee either in cash or through credit or a debit card
- You may also select the option of online transfer to pay the fee
- Next step would be to submit the passport application form by post
- When you submit the form, you would receive an acknowledgement
- This acknowledgement will have the passport application number
- Use this number to schedule an appointment to give the bio – metric details
- These details are nothing but finger prints / signature / photographs
Application processing time:
Usually it takes about 10 working days to get the passport issued. However, the time taken to get the passport issued depends a lot on the documents that have been submitted along with the application form.
Documents to be submitted along with the Portuguese passport application form
Documents for an adult’s passport:
- Submit a completely filled passport
- Proof of identity with photograph
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate (only applicable to a few)
- 2 colour photographs recent ones (generally not required)
Documents for a child’s passport:
- Completed application form
- Identity proof
- Certificate of birth
- 2 recent colour photographs (usually it is not required)
- Consent of the parents
- Marriage certificate & other identity proof of the parents
The photographs are generally not required as the authorities take a digital photograph when the applicant goes to the passport office.
Download the Portuguese passport application form:
To either download the Portuguese passport application form or further information related to the Portuguese passport, you may click on the following link – http://www.portugal.gov.pt/en/ministries/mne/the-team.aspxSponsored Links
Validity of a Portuguese passport:
Till the children turn 4, their passport will be valid for 2 years. However, for the other citizens / the applicants, a Portuguese passport is valid for 5 years.