To make international travel easier, the citizens (of Germany) can apply for a German passport. Moreover, this document also serves a proof of identity which the German authorities accept. These passports are not like the other countries but vary on quite a few aspects. Read on to know more about the German passports.
Check this – a German passport will be valid for about 10 years & this is applicable only to people who are older than 24 years old. On the other hand for people who are under 24 years of age, their passport will be valid for only 6 years.
The fact that makes German passport special is that a German citizen is considered to be a citizen of EU or the European Union as well. Thus, apart from serving as a national identity this document allows one to move freely throughout the European Union & the European Economic Area / EEA.
Eligibility (criteria) when applying for a German passport:
- The most important thing to be kept in mind is that you have to be a German citizen to get a German passport.
List of documents required for a German passport:
- The passport application form has to be completely filled
- 2 identical recent passport photographs
- Birth certificate in original as well as a copy of it
- Marriage certificate / divorce decree / death certificate of the spouse again the original as well as a photo copy
- Change of name proof
- Original as well as copy of a valid residency permit
- Original & copy of legal address proof
- German naturalization certificate (if applicable) in both original & photo copy
- Nationality certificate or parent’s German passport (for 1st time adult applicants)
- Parental consent & parents identification proof documents are to be submitted when applying for a child’s German passport
Procedure to issue the German passports:
- Head to the local municipal registration office
- You will be required to apply in – person for a new German passport
- Complete the application form carefully & the details provided have to be correct
- Attach the required documents
- When everything is in place, you will have to go to the municipal office & submit the forms along with the documents listed there
- Pay the fee either by credit or a debit card or in cash
- Collect the acknowledgement if the application form is submitted successfully
- On this acknowledgement you will come across the passport application number
- Use this number & confirm your appointment
- You will be able to give the bio – metric details once your passport application form has been cleared
A child’s passport does not require bio metric data & hence, child should not go ahead & give the bio – metric data.
German passport fee:
- A German passport if issued to a person who is 24 years old or more than that & if the passport is to be delivered in a month then the fee is € 59 & pages are 32
- For a passport that is issued to a person who is less than 24 years old, the fee is € 37 .50
- For a 48 pages German passport, you will have to pay a premium of € 22 only
- Finally for an express delivery, a premium of € 32 is to be paid
Processing time of a German passport:
Usually a German passport is issued in 4 to 6 weeks that is from the time the applications have been submitted at the passport office. But if you require the passport a little earlier or say in 4 days then you will have to opt for the Express service. This will be applicable when the process has started before 11 o’ clock in the morning.Sponsored Links